The First Amendment to the Constitution states “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” In 2015, Presidential candidate Donald Trump proposed that he would consider shutting down mosques in the United States. Now that Donald Trump is president assume for the purposes of this assignment that he created an executive order mandating the closure of all mosques.
§ Consider Donald Trump’s statements from a Constitutional perspective. Would Trump’s policies violate the First Amendment? Explain.
§ Suppose you are the lawyer involved in this case. Which side would you choose to represent, the U.S. Government as the defendant or the congregation of a Muslim mosque as the plaintiffs?
§ After deciding your position, please make arguments on behalf of your client (either the U.S. Government or the Muslim Congregation). Explain your position using your interpretation of the Constitution and relevant case law.
• Your paper must be at least 1000 words.
• Please double space your paper and use standard 12 point font.
• Make sure to proofread your paper before submitting.
• Please follow APA format when referencing information from outside sources.
• Make sure to reference at least three (3) outside sources.